Sunday, April 27, 2014

A quick few words about dry ice!

We had some dry ice in the house this week. Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide—that's the gas we exhale when we breathe. People often use it to ship food, because it's super cold: -109.3 degrees Fahrenheit!!! (As opposed to 32 degree Fahrenheit for frozen water.) And it stays frozen and super cold for a long time. 

In the photo below you can see our dry ice literally freezing the bowl that holds it. All that smoke is actually the ice sublimating. That is, turning directly from ice back into gas—unlike ice made with water, which melts into liquid before turning into gas. 

If you should ever come across some dry ice, make sure you DO NOT TOUCH IT with your bare skin. It's so cold it will give you severe frostbite!

No comments:

Post a Comment