Friday, January 16, 2015

A New (Old) Lamppost for Clinton Street

The city re-installed an iron lamppost on our street today. A while back it was taken away for refurbishment and now it was all fixed up and ready again for service. This type of lamppost is called a Bishop's Crook, because of the shape of its upper portion—the portion that curves down to the light itself.
Around 1900, the City of New York installed many of these ornamental lampposts around the five boroughs (Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens). Many of them were Bishop's Crooks, which actually come in a number of different styles, but there were other shapes as well. 

The lampposts on our block are reproductions. That is, they're made to look like the original old lampposts. There aren't too many of the originals left; those that still exist are landmarks—they can't be replaced or taken away or changed. Of the kind shown here, there are only 12 left in all of New York.

The bases of these lampposts are made of cast iron. They weigh about 2,000 pounds. The workers on our street put the base back into place first. It's so heavy they had to use a crane.

The top of the lamppost is lighter. Like the originals, it's made out of iron pipe and iron castings. 
Before it could be lifted by crane to its place on top of the base, workmen had to hook it up to the light. 
Here they are attaching the wires. Soon, it will be all hooked up and ready to go!
Visit this site to learn more about the history of New York City lampposts, and to see some really cool pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment